Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Third Grade Independent Reading Book List

Below is a list of most of the books my 8-year-old son read during his third-grade year (excluding picture books, of which he read many, and magazines such as Trains and Classic Trains and National Geographic, which constitute a large share of his reading time).  Most of these are well-known titles, but I hope you'll find some here (and in my next post of this year's read-alouds) that interest you or the young reader in your life; I love browsing other parents' lists of books for inspiration.

Our son enjoys reading fiction (and he loves being read aloud to!) but he really loves reading non-fiction as well.  He sometimes loses interest in a fiction book before finishing it, perhaps because sometimes he chooses quite long books, so I've noted if he read most of a book.  He was immersed in Calvin and Hobbes and Tintin this year, as you can see below.  He also loves to reread favorites; the first three Harry Potter books are on this year's and last year's lists.  Sometimes I try to push him to read new novels and not return to the favorites again, but he's always loved rereading (and dipping into books), and after all I'm spending my career rereading, teaching, and writing about six novels by Jane Austen, so who am I to criticize?


Third Grade (2012-2013). This list only includes books read in their entirety (or almost so).
  • Tales of the RAF: Scramble! By Don Patterson
  • Henry and the Paper Route by Beverly Cleary (read 1/3)
  • The Tunnel of Hugsy Goode by Eleanor Estes (all but final chapter)
  • Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid #5 by Jeff Kinney
  • Treehorn Times Three by Florence Parry Heide (read 2/3)
  • What a Year by Tomie DePaola
  • The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
  • The Best-Loved Doll by Rebecca Caudill
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid #6 by Jeff Kinney
  • Wonderstruck by Brian Selznik
  • Key to the Treasure by Peggy Parish
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling
  • Amtrak: An American Story by Amtrak staff
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling
  • The Cars of Pullman by Joe Welsh, Bill Howes, and Kevin J. Holland
  • Encyclopedia Brown #2-6 by Donald Sobel
  • Scientific Progress Goes Boink by Bill Watterson
  • Something Under The Bed Is Drooling by Bill Watterson
  • Ramona and Her Mother by Beverly Cleary
  • Underground by David Macauley
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid #3 by Jeff Kinney
  • Ghostopolis by Doug Tennapel
  • Clementine by Sara Pennypacker
  • The Talented Clementine by Sara Pennypacker
  • Clementine's Letter by Sara Pennypacker
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy by George Seldon
  • Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson
  • Yukon Ho by Bill Watterson
  • Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn by Herge
  • Clementine, Friend of the Week by Sara Pennypacker (read 1/3)
  • Tintin: Red Rackham's Treasure by Herge
  • Tintin: The Crab With the Golden Claws by Herge
  • Tintin: The Shooting Star by Herge
  • Tintin: The Seven Crystal Balls by Herge
  • Ribsy by Beverly Cleary
  • Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun by Herge
  • Tintin in America by Herge
  • The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
  • Tintin: The Calculus Affair by Herge
  • Amelia Bedelia Play Ball by Peggy Parrish
  • Horrid Henry's Stinkbomb by Francesca Simon (read 1/2)
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
  • Chi's Sweet Home by Konami Kanata Vols 1-9
  • Tintin: Explorers on the Moon by Herge
  • Tintin: The Castafiore Diamond by Herge
  • Tintin: The Broken Ear by Herge 
  • Usborne Puzzle Adventure Omnibus
  • Missee Lee by Arthur Ransome (read 1/2)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic by Betty MacDonald
  • Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia Maclachlan 
I'm interested in the range of "reading levels" on this list; it's a good reminder either that rating the reading levels of books is an imprecise project or that kids sometimes read at the upper and lower levels in the same week, or both.

I always like to hear "if he liked X, he'll love Y" recommendations.  In addition to graphic novels and stories (I've got to get Asterix in front of him!), he likes books from an earlier era; he was complaining bitterly to me the other day that our public library mostly has (in his perception -- I think this might not actually be true) children's books published in the past 20 years.  And we're always looking for fiction and nonfiction about trains and buildings! 

6 comments:

Megan Neal said...

Lots of good reads on that list!
I recently came across a train novel he might like to try: On the Blue Comet by Rosemary Wells with illustrations by Bagram Ibatoulline. It takes place during the Great Depression and features a widowed father and son who share a love of model trains.
When I first came across it I was startled because I didn't know Rosemary Wells wrote novels.
I found it at a library sale, but aside from a little sticker residue on the front cover, the book is new. I'd be happy to send it to you, if you want to email me your address. (mouseprints at hotmail dot com.)

Fanny Harville said...

Thanks, Megan, this is such a nice offer!

Erica MomandKiddo said...

I love to "eavesdrop" on other kids' reading lists. I completely agree about the range of reading levels. Once someone told me that a good library has books arranged by leveled reading (such as Lexile). This was completely at odds with how I felt! My son just read Fake Moustache and loved it so much he immediately started reading it again. I don't think I could compare it to any of the books on this list, but it might be worth checking out. Here's Betsy Bird's review: http://blogs.slj.com/afuse8production/2012/02/01/review-of-the-day-fake-mustache-by-tom-angleberger/

Fanny Harville said...

Fake Mustache sounds like one N. would love! Thanks!

Fanny Harville said...

Megan, N. received On the Blue Comet and began reading it immediately. He says it's really good so far! Thanks again for thinking of him.

Megan Neal said...

I'm glad it arrived and that he's enjoying it.
Just to let you know, my Blogger site was hacked by cybersquatters, so I've moved my blog to Wordpress. My new blog address is http://inhabitingbooks.wordpress.com